Kids of all ages will enjoy creating a happy hedgehog craft with hearts, paint, pom poms, and our printable hedgehog template. Best of all it's budget friendly and you can easily adapt it to use items you already have at home.
Materials Needed for the Valentine Hedgehog Craft
- Printable hedgehog template – click here to download for free
- White card stock (regular printer paper will work too)
- Washable paint (markers, crayons or colored pencils will work too)
- Glue stick
- Pom pom
- Sticker or googly eye
Directions for the Valentine Hedgehog Craft
- Print the hedgehog template on white paper or card stock. Alternatively, this template can be printed on colored card stock if kids do not want to paint or color it.
- Paint the hedgehog template with washable paint. We used black washable paint for the hedgehog’s body and rainbow colors for the hedgehog’s quills (the hearts). You could also use markers, crayons, or colored pencils. Or, you could use the printed template as a pattern to trace on colored construction paper.
- When the paint is dry, cut out the hedgehog body shapes and the hearts.
- Use a glue stick or tacky craft glue to secure the hearts to the hedgehog’s body with the pointed end towards the top.
- When the hedgehog’s body is complete, glue a pom pom on for the hedgehog’s nose, add a googly eye or sticker for his eye, and draw a smile with your marker to complete his face. You could also use buttons or paper circles.
- Last, glue the decorated part of the hedgehog on top of the greeting card portion. When the glue dries, the card will open and close to reveal the message, “I’m hedge over heels for you!”
This cheerful hedgehog Valentine is perfect for sharing with teachers, friends, and neighbors. And of course, if kids don’t want to make it into a card, they will enjoy using the hedgehog template as a fun Valentine’s Day art project.
Topics: Pocket Change